Have you ever been worried about leaving your car off-guard somewhere? Or your teen has newly learned driving and you want to be sure of his whereabouts and if he is following traffic rules? Want to keep an eye on your employee? Yes? Most people go for a GPS vehicle tracking devices that lets them know the location of their car on a computer or smartphone. These devices are very easy to install and save you a lot of trouble. They are also helpful in case your car gets stolen.
While choosing a GPS tracking device, make sure the tracker comes with all the functions that you require and that the tracking service works well. GPS trackers come in all shapes and sizes, different kinds of features, power sources and various reporting options. The general price range is from 80$-250$. Most of these tracking devices can be placed anywhere in your car, and they start working at the moment. However, there are devices that are hardwired, and they require proper installation.
- 1 There are four types of GPS tracking devices
- 2 Top 5 Car GPS tracking devices
There are four types of GPS tracking devices
Data Loggers: This type of GPS tracking device is a cost-effective way of viewing history of where your car has been throughout the day. These trackers, however, don’t track where a car is at the moment.
Portable trackers: These are versatile and self-contained GPS tracking devices that are normally powered by batteries to find out the location of a person, animal, vehicle or something valuable.
Hardwired trackers: As mentioned above, these trackers are properly installed in the car, use the car’s battery for power and are capable of performing multiple tasks such as ignition kill, door lock, alerting for speeding, zone crossing and many more.
Plug ‘N Go trackers: These trackers are plugged into the OBDII connector of a car and get their power from the vehicle. Their method of tracking is quite simple.
Top 5 Car GPS tracking devices
MasTrack OBD Real Time GPS Vehicle Tracker
It is a very simple tracker which plugs into the OBD port of car and starts working at the moment. The device works with every vehicle manufactured after 1995.
- No need of recharging (as it gets powered by the vehicle)
- 1 month of free service
- Works with any internet enabled device
- Provide alerts on tampering, speeding, geo-fence, removal of device etc
- Offers four different monthly service plans according to your need
- 1 year warranty
- Doesn’t have a mobile app
- You have to text a code to get alerts
- Messes up alerts during prime time rush-hours
Baiyuyi TK-103 Vehicle Car Tracker Gps/gsm/gprs System
This tracker is based on GSM / GPRS network and GPS system. The device is cheap, very efficient, and is capable of performing multiple functions. Battery is a Chargeable, changeable, 3.7V 800mAh Li-ion battery with 80 hours standby. The tracker requires a SIM card to function and will make calls as long as there are prepaid minutes available.
- World Wide map
- Accurate vehicle tracking
- Minute to minute updates
- Allows power cut by remote
- Back up battery
- Instructions poorly given
- Requires a person expert in mechanics to install It
- Poor customer service
Garmin GTU 10 GPS Tracking Unit
The Garmin GTU 10 is a handy tracking device that is not only confined to tracking vehicles but can easily track pets, property and even people. Garmin GTU 10 comes with one year of tracking service. The device requires Lithium Ion batteries, display size is 3 inches and the device weighs 1.8 ounces.
- Small and light weighted
- Easily attached
- Serves multiple purposes
- Works with both: computer and smartphone.
- Recognizes up to 10 geo-fences
- 1 year warranty
- Comes with one year of tracking services.
- Consistent server problems
- To access all the features, extra fee on $4.99/m is charged
- Battery needs recharging too often
LandAirSea GPS Tracking Key Pro
This device is a compact and portable GPS tracking device that uses two AA batteries to accurately locate your vehicle. This device can also be connected to the vehicle’s power supply through hardwire. The GPS is equipped with a motion detected, that places the device into sleep mode after two minutes of idleness.
- No monthly fees
- Motion detector to help preserve battery life
- Offers three data viewing options
- Updates location every second
- Accurate description of speed, address of stops, duration of stops, arrival addresses, direction of vehicle.
- Google Earth interface
- Easily breakable
- Not resistant to elements like water
- No built-in software
LandAirSea SilverCloud Real-Time GPS Tracking System
Another good product by the company LandAirSea, this device comes with multiple accessories for different purposes such as fleet management, law enforcement and personal tracking. The device weighs one pound and uses 1 Lithium ion battery. You can set time-based or location-based alerts according to your preferences.
- User friendly web based App
- Google Maps
- Updates location after every 3 seconds
- Unlimited storage
- Sharespot feature
- 3D Mapping
- Can track multiple vehicles on one account
- Product is quite expensive -$369
- No Mobile App
- Poor signal reception in some areas